The ancient route that in medieval times connected Canterbury to Rome and to the harbors of Apulia has been discovered by modern pelegrin, who set off on a fantastic route. Anima Toscana offers the opportunity to discover the Via Francigena route from Siena to Rome by bicycle, crossing the region of Tuscany and Lazio on secondary road and gravel road.
The Via Francigena passes through the Val d’Orcia, Viterbo, the lake of Bolsena and the “Tuscia”, before arriving to Rome. You’ have the chance to visit charming medieval villages riding among breathtaking panoramas!
The visit of the beautiful city of Rome complete this beautiful bike experience.
Day 1 - Benvenuti in Toscana
Individual arrival and meeting point to 3 stars hotel located only 1 km far from the city center of Siena
FROM SIENA TO SAN QUIRICO, 60 KM
First stage surrounded by beautiful view.
In the first part of the stage you will ride the typical hills of Val d’Arbia.
The route cross the permanent route of L’Eroica to Buonconvento, very nice medieval village.
End of the stage in Val d’Orcia, UNESCO protected site.
A diversion to the normal route will lead you to Pienza, renaissance town, also famous for its Pecorino cheese.
Dinner in typical Tuscan restaurant and accommodation in 3 stars hotel located at San Quirico d’Orcia.
FROM SAN QUIRICO TO BOLSENA, 81 KM
The landscape of Val d’Orcia, riding through the thermal medieval village of Bagno Vignoni.
Pedaling on the Paglia’s valley following the old Cassia road.
Contignano, beautiful hill top town where you can admire fantastic view on the Val d’Orcia.
Acquapendente before to arrive at the Lake of Bolsena, end of the stage.
Dinner and accommodation in Agriturismo located on the Lake Bolsena.
FROM BOLSENA TO SUTRI, 65 KM
Along hilly routes, with beautiful view on Montefiascone, you will join Viterbo and its beautiful city center.
The town of Vetralla and Capranica.
End of the stage at Sutri, town of Etruscan origin where you can’t miss the visit of its amphitheater and the Church of the Madonna del Parto.
Dinner and accommodation in 4 stars hotel located outside the town center of Sutri.
FROM SUTRI TO ROMA, 65 KM
Monterosi and the Monte Gelato waterfalls, a natural area for a little relax before to arrive at Campagnano di Roma.
The Parco di Veio and the Tevere bicycle path before the final arrival to Rome.
The alternative route will lead you on the river of Lake of Bracciano before arriving at Campagnano di Roma.
Dinner on your own and accommodation in 3 stars hotel located very close the city center of Rome.
Day 6 - Arrivederci
Check-out and individual departures, otherwise you can add more days to your stay and visit this beautiful city.
- 5 nights stay with breakfast
- 3 dinners, drinks not included
- Baggage transportation between the hotels
- Pick-up of everything you bought during your daily stage: wine, gift and more
- Maps and information for your daily stage
- GPX tracks for gps system
- Phone assistance by Anima Toscana staff
- Tourist city tax
- Medical/baggage insurance
- Medical baggage insurance
- Pick-up at Siena train station
- English speaking bike guide
- Van support during your daily stage
- Activities for non-cyclist (cooking class, guided tour, horse back riding, trekking etc.)
- Bike rental (mtb, hybrid, e-bikes)
- GPS rental
- Wine tasting, truffle hunting, or cheese tasting
- Transfer hotel Rome to airport, train station or other hotels